Policymakers can address these challenges and ensure the sustainability of the generic and the emerging biosimilar medicines markets. The AAM Roadmap For Ensuring Patient Access has key steps policymakers can take to ensure all Americans continue to benefit from a competitive and robust generics and biosimilars industry.
- Modernize Medicare Part D – The Medicare Part D benefit should be modernized to address the perverse incentives that currently favor high-cost brand name drugs over lower-cost generic and biosimilar medicines.
- Reduce Medicare Cost Sharing for Seniors – The Ensuring Access to Lower-Cost Medicines for Seniors Act would ensure coverage of newly available generic and biosimilar medicines, reduce patient cost-sharing through proper formulary tier coverage and create a new specialty tier for biosimilars.
- Eliminate the Medicaid Generics Penalty – The Protecting Access to Affordable Medicines Act would fix the misguided application of the Medicaid rebate on generic medicines, reducing the risk of drug shortages and benefiting patients through sustainable access to low-cost generics.
- Address Patent Abuse – The Restoring the America Invents Act would strengthen the Inter-Partes Review process to support earlier generic entry.
- Preserve the Tools that Drive Competition and Savings – Developers of generic and biosimilar medicines rely on the 180-day exclusivity period for new generics and the ability to accelerate competition through patent settlements and the “skinny label” pathway.
Resources and Media
Middlemen profit-taking threatens sustained patient savings and access to generic medicines. That is #MarkupMadness! Learn more 👉 #Rx #PatientAccess #DrugPrices https://t.co/RmkJLKgtOC...View Tweet
New blog by AAM's @BiosimsCouncil Director Steve Selde | @OIGatHHS Report Demonstrates Need for Changes to Part D to Increase Biosimilar Use #patientaccess #lostsavings #MedicarePartD https://t.co/F2...View Tweet
Middlemen profit-taking threatens sustained patient savings and access to generic medicines. That is #MarkupMadness! #drugprices #Rx #PatientAccessView Tweet
Rx #MarkupMadness means middlemen win and patients lose. 😔 #drugprices #PatientAccessView Tweet
“Generics keep my great life going.” —KC, 73, Seattle, WA, takes generic medicines to manage her #highbloodpressure and #highcholesterol. Read KC's story: Share your story: https://t.co/Bgn9sO...View Tweet
“I don’t even need to worry about paying since my plan covers all of the cost of the infusions.” —Eileen, 28, NY, who has been fighting #crohnsdisease with a #biosimilar. Read Eileen's story: ...View Tweet
“I tell the doctors to just give me the #generic because they work the same, and it’s way less than half the cost of the brand-name. I’ve been able to use the savings to go back to school.”–...View Tweet
#Illinois HB 1780 puts patient access to generics at risk. Generics drive patient savings, yet HB 1780 imposes new costs on patients who rely on generics access to life-saving treatments. Learn more: ...View Tweet